[Sussex] configuring grub

Colin King colin.king at freeuk.com
Wed Jul 16 12:55:45 UTC 2008

Hi

One neat feature of Grub is the ability to set the default kernel to
boot into using the "default" option in /boot/grub/menu.lst.  It's
usually set to zero to boot the 1st entry in the menu.lst.  An
alternative is to use "savedefault" option - this allows one to change
the default boot number at boot time - this information is saved into a
file in /boot/grub (note - if /boot/grub/ is on a RAID filesystem it may
make them inconsistent because grub writes the file using BIOS calls and
hence is not that intelligent)

Colin