[Sussex] File recovery help!

Jacqui Caren Jacqui.caren at ntlworld.com
Tue Jun 24 12:53:15 UTC 2008

Grant Sewell wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> First of all I would like to say "Hello" as I am new to the list.
>
> Secondly I would like to apologise for my being rude, but I have a very
> special reason for joining the Sussex LUG... all shall be revealed in
> this very email!
>
> I am actually based in Cornwall and, I have to admit, have never
> actually been to Sussex.  A good friend of mine has recently(ish) moved
> to Hastings, which I am led to believe is in East Sussex.  She has
> recently started to have a few problems which, I am hoping, someone on
> the SLUG may be able to help her with.
>
> Alas, poor lady, she runs Windows XP.  Ordinarily this is where I would
> stop, but to make matters worse, has just moved some rather
> important files (video footage of the kids) to her recyclebin, and then
> emptied it! She is now regretting doing this, especially since she has
> been told that the camera has also been cleared of all footage.

If you can skip NTFS recovery - can be fun and install one of the
freewareshareware memory card recovery tools.

I did this about eight mornths ago with afriends camera (birthday pics
on camera when laoned to someone - not there wehn he got the camera back!)

It recovered *all* of the pictures!

> Would anyone in the SLUG be kind enough to lend a helping hand?  If so,
> I would greatly appreciate an email off-list so I can give out her
> details non-publicly.

I have recovered unix//linux files in the past and used systemrescue
etc to av scan NTFS and fat32 parttitions but I am not a recovery
expert by any means.

My advice would be to shut down the XP box - do not restart it!

if the mcard recovery fails, then

Burn a copy of system rescue or similar. Make sure this has
NTFS/FAT32 file recovery tools on board and you have read
the manuals ;-)

Find out how to use it and *very* *very* carefully use it.

If you need someone to call (and no one else volunteers) I can
delete a couple for files from a XP machine here and
burn/run the same software as yourself so that we can
work through the steps together but I am hoping someone
with a tad more practise will step up to the plate.

Finaly it may be worth posting to my other "local" lugs.

If no other responses here, I can post to hampshire, surrey and sc lugs.

Jacqui

p.s. if needed email off list and I will provide a phone number.