[Sussex] Sussex Moot and more Linux woes

davidpipe at tiscali.co.uk davidpipe at tiscali.co.uk
Fri Jun 27 12:09:55 UTC 2008

It was interesting attending my first moot.

Unfortunately the problem that Peter and I have with his PCLinux OS could not be fixed as we could not be linked up.

The problem related to the Administration Center not working - found to be a problem with Perl needing to be updated.  Having gone into Package Manager this morning it turns out that the whole of Perl and Python (and ancillaries) would need to be updated.

Started the update procedure to be met with a list of items that would be deleted that is as long as a record breaking python! There was also a warning that the system might crash!

Procedure halted so that we could d/l an ISO of Mandriva 2008 DVD and burnt it so that we have an installation disk in case of total crash.  This is going to take so long that this has been abandoned until tomorrow when we can leave the the computer chuntering on the d/l (approx 5 hours.)

I'll let you know the outcome in due course!