[Sussex] RFID cards security

John Crowhurst info at johnscomputersupport.co.uk
Sat Mar 15 01:23:32 UTC 2008

On Fri, March 14, 2008 23:39, Steve Dobson wrote:
> I heard that one politician had been sold the idea that by using RFID in
> paper money.  Then someone with a clue (and not trying to sell the
> technology) pointed out that all a mugger would need is a RFID reader
> and he could scan a potential victim to determine how much cash they
> carried before committing the crime.

With the oyster card system, the criminal would simply crack the
encryption key, work out what a season ticket code is or maximum credits
and reprogram their cards with that information.

Credit card systems could use a compromised reader to corrupt the card
information as well as capture the codes from it.

--
John Crowhurst
John's Computer Support