[Sussex] Re: [Brighton-lug-misc] Linux and job..

Steve Dobson steve at dobson.org
Wed Mar 19 10:44:35 UTC 2008

Davut

On Wed, 2008-03-19 at 00:06 +0200, Davut Topcan wrote:
> Firstly, I'm really sorry for wasting your bandwidth with this mail
> conversation.I guess this unpleasent stuation derives from cultural
> differences. in my culture if the style is proper I mean there is no
> rudeness in conversation, there won't be any problem to use a source
> in different use. that you can see in my mails there is no rudeness.

I did not, and do not, class your posting as being rude.

>  after Steve claim that my mail is a spam mail this convarsation
> became rude.

I can understand that you may have been offended by my classification of
your email.  However, you were advertising your skills for which you
expected to be paid.  I call that commercial - one of the attributes of
spam.  You also posted the same content to multiple forums, another
attribute associated with spam, not just LUG lists but the perl lists as
well.

We have an expression here in the UK:  If it looks like a duck and it
quacks like a duck, it a duck!  Be an adult, take responsibility for
your actions.  You may not have intended that your email was taken as
spam, but that is how some choose to see it.  I submitted the the bigger
fault lay with your initial action.

> The only I want to find new job opportunity in UK in field of Linux IT
> Department. It would be unnecessary  to look job at google or
> somewhere else. This conversation wouldn't  be so  long  if Steve did
> not  act  like this and say he want to block my mails. If he did not
> claim about my first mail, this conversation would be stoped before it
> begin.

It would also not have started if you had acted differently.  Posting to
one or two lists a request for advice on how to best look for a job in
the UK is very different than a post directly asking for a job and a
place to live as well.  You might even have got some useful suggestions.

> And I will never reply any mail about this conversation.

If that is your wish then so be it.  Personal I prefer to continue a
dialogue in the hope of finding a resolution.  It maybe that SLUG needs
to generate an "Acceptable Use Police" and send them a link to it when
anyone signing up to the list.  That is not an unreasonable complaint if
job requests are common on other, similar forums.  But if you wish to
terminate your involvement in this discussion, so be it.

Steve Dobson

"It's God. No, not Richard Stallman, or Linus Torvalds, but God."
(By Matt Welsh)