[Sussex] Hard drive data recovery

Steve Dobson steve at dobson.org
Thu Mar 27 13:07:37 UTC 2008

Alan

On Thu, 2008-03-27 at 13:17 +0100, alan johns wrote:
> I need to recovery some lost/deleted files from an ide hard drive.

It all depends on a number of factors: file system use, how the file
was lost, etc.

If it was a standard ext2/3 file system then you might get it back using
the information here:  http://www.stud.tu-ilmenau.de/~mojo/undelete.html

You can store the e2fsprogs package on ubuntu using the package manager
and there are an e2undel and reciver packages too.  I haven't used them
because I use the XFS file system rather than ext2/3.

I also so a ntfsprogs package that includes a ntfsundelete program that
might help out if it is a Windows disk that holds the data.  Again I
don't
use NTFS so I have no personal experience of such.

Can you come along tonight?  If so let me know and bring the disk.  Let
me know the file system type and I'll load my laptop with the
appropriate
packages and the external drive case that I have.

Steve Dobson

Sometimes you get an almost irresistible urge to go on living.