[Sussex] zip files on mandriva

Geoffrey Teale gteale at cmedresearch.com
Fri May 23 15:23:08 UTC 2008

On May 23, 2008, at 4:56 PM, Colin Tuckley wrote:

> Peter Moule wrote:
>> yesterday I downloaded 2 cds from Play.com in mp3 format.
>> they came as zip files,and i couldn't find the tools to open them.
>> My neighbour got around this by putting these files on a memory
>> stick and using his windows laptop to open them.
>> Surely there must be a way to do this on my system
>
> man unzip

After Colin's typical Debian developer response ;-)

OK,

There are many tools available to do this.  Colin is referring to a
manner of doing it on the command line.   There is a program called
unzip, it has an online manual stored in the Linux (UNIX) manual
system.  If you're using the command line then typing "man" followed
by the name of a program will often get you to some instructions.

However, given that you are asking a fairly simple question I will
assume instead that you're not using the command line but rather one
of the common Desktop environments - probably either GNOME or KDE.
If your using GNOME then the GUI program you want is called File-
Roller - if it is already installed then you can probably just right
click on the files and select "extract here", if it isn't then your
going to have to install it.  For that (or for what you'd do if you
were running KDE rather than GNOME) I will leave you in the hands of
someone who uses Mandriva and/or KDE.

Generally it's useful to give a little background on the level of
knowledge you have and the tools you are using if you want to avoid
two word answers like Colins.

Regards,
--
Geoff Teale