[Sussex] Linux woes

John D. johnsemail at f2s.com
Sat May 24 10:13:47 UTC 2008

On Saturday 24 May 2008 10:45:16 Desmond Armstrong wrote:
> burn4free from www.burn4free.com will burn your ISOs and result in
> bootable disk.
> You can get DVD dual layer re-writer for less than £20 from the computer
> fair.
> One point to remember, FAT32 cannot handle files larger than 4GB so you
> must then use NTFS or (ext3 with Linux). The Mandriva ISOs which I use
> are 4.3GB but I believe that the free version is somewhat smaller.
>
> > burn4free allows the burning of ISO images under Windows.  Also, DVD
> > ROM drives are quite cheap so it could be worth the investments as it
> > make loading quicker and easier.
Hum?

I know it's been a while since I used Mandriva, but there always used to be a
basic/lite version of the .ISO available, which would just produce a
basic/lite bootable CD version which could be installed, then getting any of
the additional app's/packages from one of the mirrors via URPMI.

Dunno if that's still the case, though if it is, it negates the need/necessity
of the £20 or whatever additional spend.

regards

John D.