[Sussex] Zip files on Mandriva

Steve Dobson steve.dobson at syscall.org.uk
Tue May 27 16:03:56 UTC 2008

Peter/David

On Tue, 2008-05-27 at 14:18 +0100, Peter Moule wrote:
> I have managed to locate KArchiveur on another site which has now been
> downloaded.  I've just got to go through the installation
> instructions.

> I have now read the instructions and am still a bit confused as I am
> still not sure how to install the archive to the root directory.

Any chance of a link to those instructions so I could read them too.  If
I am to help it would be nice to see what I would be helping with.
Linux I know, KDE & Mandriva I don't, but mostly that stuff is easy when
you understand the basics[1].

> We want KArchiver in the first partition (system:/media/hda1) along
> with the other programs.  NOT in the second partition
> (system:/media/hda6).

There are ways and means of getting stuff where you want it, but there
will be other issues if you don't get the non-standard config correct.

Those drive addresses aren't a lot of help on the mapping of the
addresses to the mount points.  The output of (CLI) "df -kh" will
provide a nice summary of this info.  Without it I really have no idea
what the difference between hda6 & hda1 are.  I would guess that hda1 is
your root partition, but that just a guess - it could be anywhere.

> Peter is bringing his PC to the Moot so can someone install it and
> give him concise instructions on how to do it.  This will then allow
> him to download the music zips he gets hold of.

KArchiver, as packaged under Debian, is an archiver program that allows
you to (un)compress files.  My guess at this point is that you need to
become root *before* you do the install, then it will put all the files
in the correct places, just as you want.

See you Thursday
Steve

[1] GUI only users can not understand the basics.  They are presented
with a graphical representation of the computer, an abstraction.  By
definition an abstraction is not the real thing, and thus you need to
understand how the abstractions maps to the real world of the OS.  This
is best done using the CLI.

--
Steve Dobson

I do not remember ever having seen a sustained argument by an author
which, starting from philosophical premises likely to meet with general
acceptance, reached the conclusion that a praiseworthy ordering of one's
life is to devote it to research in mathematics.
-- Sir Edmund Whittaker, "Scientific American", Vol. 183