[Sussex] Think of MythTV

Steve Dobson steve.dobson at syscall.org.uk
Wed Oct 1 11:36:38 UTC 2008

Andrew

On Wed, 2008-10-01 at 10:07 +0100, Stephen Williams wrote:
> I have a spare Hauppage WinTVT-350 card which I am not using. I could let you
> have it for a small sum.

> On Wednesday 01 October 2008 09:45:42 Andrew Guard wrote:
> > Not been the best of times my DVD-Recorder just given the ghost. I use
> > this to backup TV with.
> >
> > I was already think of bring down my old pc to living room, now it has
> > another use as well then just beening browser box.
> >
> > Why don't I use MythTV to recorded my programs off my Sky+ box. I was
> > think of using SCART to video capture card...
> >
> > What is a good analogue or analogue/digital capture with MythTV that
> > doesn't cost the earth. Not to worried about digital as I have Sky+,
> > also terrestrial DVB signals are a weak signal in my area.

The Hauppage PVR-350 is a very good card.  I use it with my Digibox all
the time (not Sky+, I don't need it with MythTV).  There are plenty of
howtos on the net for configuring this card.

You will also need a Red Eye serial cable to allow the MythTV system to
change the channels on your Sky+ box.
     http://www.redremote.co.uk/serial/

I have written a little client/daemon program to aid in this.  The
daemon send a "BACKUP" command every minute so should a channel put up
those nasty "RED BUTTON TO WIN" thinks the backup button takes them
down.  Let me known and I'll send it to you.

Steve Dobson

Any dramatic series the producers want us to take seriously as a
representation
of contemporary reality cannot be taken seriously as a representation of
anything -- except a show to be ignored by anyone capable of sitting
upright
in a chair and chewing gum simultaneously.
-- Richard Schickel