No subject

Thu Sep 25 07:53:37 UTC 2008

> However.  Having made the statement I shall attempt to defend it, if for
no
> other reason than sharpening my debating skills and demonstrating my
bloody
> mindedness ;)

So thanls for lengthy and informative explanation. However, I think there
are a couple of areas where you have missed the point
1 All scripting languages are not the same as you infer and therefore cannot
really be said to do the same job. On this argument, why use anything else
than assembler? After all, then you really _could_ do whatever you want, and
at a high execution speed! AppleScript was designed to control the system
and applications and thus has very little in the way of data structures or
record handling or general purpose functions.
2 The EventQueue mechanism used on the Mac allows programmatic control at
system level, rather than program-specific API.
3 The Unix philosophy has been abandoned under X (and I agree this is a huge
shame)
4 When work has to be done in a particular application because of a
proprietary file format (such as M$ Access or Quark Xpress) then you have to
use these particular applications and the environment that created them -
however much you pine for the simplicity and power of bash. And this means
you can't use most scriptng languages. For example, were you to open a
document in, say, Quark and it were to complain that a font or graphic was
missing, how could you communicate this to your script which would then
dynamically load it for you?

Still, one day someone might program up a true LINUX program control
language and offer it under GPL  ;-}

As for Network Neighbourhood, I await tales of your progress with bated
breath - I hear that Elx does this, but couldn't locate a working server
today to download the 2 CD images. I think it also does a good job of acting
as a Linux client on an NT network.

> Straw poll.  How many people think they are likely to be in an
> office where LINUX is on the desktop but Windows is being used as a
> fileserver?

Very few people I suspect - Linux is pretty unuseable 'out of the box' in an
office environment, so you won't find it in M$ dominated workplaces. BUT if
it was both easily useable and free then it would spread more. (Dons
flameproof suit :-})

> 3. Easy resolution setting / changing
Valuable info Geoff - thanks very much. Think I'll do a re-install ...

Tony