[Sussex] Laptop repair

Jon Greenwood jon.a.greenwood at googlemail.com
Thu Sep 4 16:16:10 UTC 2008

Short question:

Laptop repair (in sussex/kent, if possible). Who do you trust?

Long story:
My ubuntu-powered ThinkPad X31 has started to come apart at the seams. It
overheats when running AND charging the battery (solution: detach battery
when fully charged). It will not boot cold from battery, but will run from
battery fine if booted from mains and disconnected (solution: use suspend
liberally, be near the mains often).

To my senses, this appears to be a mobo issue which would not be worth the
repair bill, but you live in hope ...

... as the Thinkpad X31 is a fantastic portable linux machine. thinkpad_acpi
works for ALL the proprietary Fn key combinations, wireless just works
(ubuntu 7.10/atheros chipset), sound, mouse-nipple, CF drive, IrDA, PCMCIA
all work out-of-the-box and it's got plenty of poke for most tasks
(developers note: eclipse 3.2 struggles).

Many Thanks in advance,

Jon
PS. I will make it to another Moot ... eventually. However, family comes
first and they are very demanding (in a good way :-) ); however it seriously
limits available "geek-time".
PPS. My next post is likely to ask for 2nd hand laptop recommendations ...
;-)