[Sussex] Laptop repair

Jon Greenwood jon.a.greenwood at googlemail.com
Mon Sep 8 14:49:28 UTC 2008

Sad news.

Opened up the X31. After marvelling at how well organised the innards are,
there was barely any dust in there. I then spent a couple of hours stripping
it down and reassembling it whilst looking for clues regarding the power
issues. Alas, none. I also looked to see if it had a separate "power board"
that could be swapped instead of going the whole mobo hog. I couldn't see
anything ... :-(

In light of recent developments, I too have been looking at the ultra
portable market recently. Whilst they look very capable machines, I do
question the cost, lack of storage and their ruggedness. As was pointed out
earlier on this thread, the Thinkpad X41 is a great machine (last of the
"IBM" Thinkpads?) and is probably a similar outlay for a refurb as a new,
mid-range eeePc ...

On the plus side, I'm leaving the X31 at home more and getting into reading,
listening to podcasts, dealing with the house paperwork and giving Beethoven
my undivided attention on the daily grind ...

Jon