[Sussex] VideoLAN 0.9 Grishenko

Desmond Armstrong desmond.armstrong at gmail.com
Tue Sep 16 08:47:19 UTC 2008

Steve Redshaw wrote:
> I have used VideoLAN on Windows and didn't know it was available for Linux
>
> I have visited the VideoLAN website and found the link for Mandriva
> Linux, however I cannot fathom out how to actually download and run
> it, the link does not seem to link to an actual download - there are
> just some instructions about updating Mandriva 2007! but I have 2008.1
>
> I must admit I still find downloading on Linux a complete mystery, I
> just haven't got the measure of it yet
>
> this is a desperate cry for help and enlightenment!!
>
> Steve Redshaw (still a green Linux explorer)
To install the VLC on Mandriva 2008.1

1/ Using Mandriva Control Panel software 'Software Management' and
'Manage Software',  'vlc' enter  and 'apply'

2/ go to the videolan site (I just google for vlc) select Mandriva.

3/ click the 'easy urpmi' button. select version 2008.1 and architecture
i586 and now click 'add PLF medias'
window pops up asking for root password - give it.

4/ when done press back button on browser and then open terminal window
and su and root password.
Now copy and paste the two lines given into the terminal window. The
second line gives it the region-free playback capability.

If you have error, then you need to leave out the first and last item on
the first line so:-

urpmi wxvlc vlc-plugin-a52 vlc-plugin-ogg vlc-plugin-mad

urpmi libdvdcss2

It will ask you to confirm that you are adding some 9 packages (from
memory 29 if you had not already installed vlc from the Mandriva
repositories).

The VLC player is brilliant and I am using it on my eee to play
(fullscreen) the downloaded quicktime programmes from Auntie Beeb's.