[Sussex] VHS video capture help needed

Gavin Stevens starshine at gavmusic.uklinux.net
Tue Sep 30 19:42:09 UTC 2008

I purchased the Hauppauge WinTV PVR 150 & have installed it in my AMD64 running Debian Lenny.

I am able to capture from our camcorder via the composite (3 phono) input & this works very well with good quality picture & sound. Also, I have got the FM radio working (via the command line).

My next trick is to capture from VCR. At present I am attempting to do this via the RF (coaxial) connection but I'm not having much luck. Both VCR & capture card are tuned to 594 MHz which is the centre tuning for RF channel 36 but all I'm getting is wavy lines & snow with only the vaguest hint that I am starting & stopping the player. I haven't been able to find much dealing specifically with capturing VHS by this method & the information I have seen hasn't been very encouraging. I have tried to ensure that the input is set correctly on the card (0 or "Tuner") & that the standard is set to PAL-I, which is what it says in the manual for the VCR.

I have two questions:

1: Is there something I'm not doing, or some PEBKAC error that is preventing the successful capture of the VHS? If so, I shall be delighted to hear the answer.

2: Is there an easier way than this? My VCR also has a SCART output & I was wondering if a SCART to composite (3 phono) cable, with the composite end going into the capture card would enable me to capture the signal with more ease? (In the VCR manual it says that if a SCART lead is connected, then the RF channel tuning for output can be turned off).

I should be most grateful for any help.

TIA

Gavin.