[Sussex] pppoa

Jan Henkins jan at henkins.za.net
Fri Apr 3 15:35:17 UTC 2009

Hello Angus,

As you might have seen by now, PPPoATM for Linux is a bit of a minefield.
I won't rehash all the warnings (most of them sensible) given by other
list members, but where I differ from most other people is that I would
have done exactly the same as you, simply because I want to learn how it
is done! :-)

OK, apart from my shout of support, unfortunately no bright ideas from me
(thankfully my ISP supports PPPoE, which is a different matter). However,
the following links might be of help:

http://www.wlug.org.nz/LinuxPPPoA
- Interesting bits here is to do with kernel setup and so forth, might be
relevant or not. The reference to the linux-atm tools could be of help
too.

http://www.fwbuilder.org/
- Very comfortable (note not a quick-n-easy tool) firewall policy builder
for iptables, ipfw, etc. Why I mention it at all is that it compiles your
policy to a BASH shell script with iptables commands built in. This can
act as a nice learning tool, if you want to get to know iptables really
well. Alternatives would be things like Shorewall (excellent and extremely
powerful, but seriously fiddly).

--
Regards,
Jan Henkins