[Sussex] Wotcha List..... and other problems....

john davis johnsemailaccount at gmail.com
Sun Apr 12 14:29:17 UTC 2009

Wotcha List,

Should have said "hello" again sooner. Plus I can't remember why I stopped
getting the mails etc (change of provider or something like that).

Ha! I might even try and make it to the moot this month (seeing as I haven't
manage to get to one for at least 18 months).

Anyway, maybe someone can point me in the right direction........

I've currently got Ubuntu 8.10 installed on the new PC, but using KDE4 for
the desktop (and back to dual booting as I couldn't suss my webcam).

The problem is a strange one (to me anyway). I run synaptic once a week to
make sure the system in up to date etc, and most things seem fine. My
graphics are nvidia based and I've got the latest 180.??? driver installed
and running, but with a couple of applications the graphics seem to run
really slowly (completely or in part).

If I'm running GNUBG, all the screen redraws (after trying to move the
counters) are very slow, when I'm using firefox, it seems to take forever to
open the drop down menus (but everything else seems to work - as far as I
can tell from my vvv limited knowledge).

Now I know, or at least believe, that it's not a graphics thing per se,
because I installed supertux and the game plays fine.

Oh, and the other problem is that I can't open the CD/DVD drawer from the
case. I have to open a terminal and use the "eject" command.

The system is less than 6 months old (a packard bell/PC world wonder box).
It seems fine as far as I can establish, resources-wise.

So any guidance etc would be brilliant.

regards

John D.