[Sussex] Wotcha List..... and other problems....

Angus Robinson angus at fairhaven.za.net
Sun Apr 12 20:40:37 UTC 2009

Hi John

Out of interest and this might not be your problem but when your system
does go slow again, open up a terminal and see what top says ? I found
hundreds of  gtk-gnash processes, when killed fixed my problem (my
problem was that my system would suddenly just halt or go slowly).

Regards,
Angus

john davis wrote:
> Wotcha List,
>
> Should have said "hello" again sooner. Plus I can't remember why I
> stopped getting the mails etc (change of provider or something like that).
>
> Ha! I might even try and make it to the moot this month (seeing as I
> haven't manage to get to one for at least 18 months).
>

> Anyway, maybe someone can point me in the right direction........
>
> I've currently got Ubuntu 8.10 installed on the new PC, but using KDE4
> for the desktop (and back to dual booting as I couldn't suss my webcam).
>
> The problem is a strange one (to me anyway). I run synaptic once a
> week to make sure the system in up to date etc, and most things seem
> fine. My graphics are nvidia based and I've got the latest 180.???
> driver installed and running, but with a couple of applications the
> graphics seem to run really slowly (completely or in part).
>
> If I'm running GNUBG, all the screen redraws (after trying to move the
> counters) are very slow, when I'm using firefox, it seems to take
> forever to open the drop down menus (but everything else seems to work
> - as far as I can tell from my vvv limited knowledge).
>
> Now I know, or at least believe, that it's not a graphics thing per
> se, because I installed supertux and the game plays fine.
>
> Oh, and the other problem is that I can't open the CD/DVD drawer from
> the case. I have to open a terminal and use the "eject" command.
>
> The system is less than 6 months old (a packard bell/PC world wonder
> box). It seems fine as far as I can establish, resources-wise.
>
> So any guidance etc would be brilliant.
>
> regards
>
> John D.

Professor Moriarty: Right-ho, gents, it's another simulation gone mad, so
murder and mayhem, standard procedure.