[Sussex] Community computer access facility

Desmond Armstrong desmond.armstrong at gmail.com
Tue Dec 1 11:41:54 UTC 2009

Steve Redshaw wrote:
> We are in the early stages of planning a community computer access
> facility for our village. It would provide internet access, supervised
> sessions and more general tuition for people who wanted to access
> services through the internet or learn to do more on their own
> computers. We are exploring grant funding to start up and maintain this.
>
> As a fairly new convert to Linux, I am keen to use Linux as the
> operating system for the several laptops available for people to use.
> Several reasons for this;
>
>     * it gives people an experience other than Microsoft windows
>     * it gives access to Open Source software
>     * it is not so vulnerable to viruses
>     * all the common computer tasks, particularly online ones, can be
>       accomplished equally as well through Linux
>     * the windows environment provided by KDE is very close to Windows
>       and would not pose any difficulties in use for those only
>       familiar with Windows
>     * I don't fancy being an unpaid Microsoft rep
>     * (it may be practical to consider dual-boot machines to
>       facilitate tuition on particular programs people run on their
>       own computers as they will almose certainly be running Windows!)
>
> I now use Linux nearly all the time (there are a few programs that I
> use that I can only get to run under Windows) and find the support
> from forums (I use Mandriva 2010), when something goes wrong or I need
> to know something new, is very good. Where we would need support is
> with technical matters (setting up and maintaining a small network of
> laptops).
>
> So I have a couple of requests;
>
> Any comments on the proposals so far, use of Linux as OS etc, would be
> gratefully received.
> Where can we get good technical support on a commercial basis (we are
> in the Midhurst area)?

I do wonder if you you think about a centralised server with a load of
terminals, which are perhaps based on something like a Mini-ITX using
the Atom.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Foxconn-R10-s1-Factor-Mini-itx-Barebone/dp/B001V60JLM/ref=sr_1_7/280-4967257-6096336?ie=UTF8&s=miscellaneous&qid=1258467795&sr=8-7#moreAboutThisProduct

I work with my local community, and have taken on a load of old laptops
which had Windows 2000 on them. Needless to say they are wiped and are
now running Mandriva. I also have their office using Mandriva and,
although there were some slight complaints initially (from one girl)
because OpenOffice is not identical to M$ I don't hear any complaints
any more, maybe this has something to do with the rather obvious
reliability of the systems. (combined with the individual's experience
on their own M$ home machine.)