[Sussex] The Next Moot

Steve Dobson steve.dobson at syscall.org.uk
Fri Jan 2 08:42:18 UTC 2009

Hi Desmond

Desmond Armstrong wrote:
>> Not sure about the RPM packages names but I'm sure you can figure them
>> out for yourself.
>>
> mozilla-thunderbird-enigmail-2.0.0.6-4mdv2008.0.i586.rpm
> gnupg-1.4.7-8mdv2008.0.i586.rpm also gnupg2 is available (what is the
> difference?)
>
> are both in the Mandriva repositories.

I'm not sure.  The description for both gnupg and gnupg2 on Debian reads:

   GnuPG is GNU's tool for secure communication and data storage.
   It can be used to encrypt data and to create digital signatures.
   It includes an advanced key management facility and is compliant
   with the proposed OpenPGP Internet standard as described in RFC2440.

   GnuPG does not use any patented algorithms so it cannot be compatible
   with PGP2 because it uses IDEA (which is patented worldwide).

That doesn't look like any big difference between the two.

But looking at the version numbers gnupg has a version number of 1.4.9
and gnupg2 has a version number of 2.0.9.  The rest of the version
information lists the same hash, cipher and compression algorithms so I
can't see any difference there.

It looks to me like the packagers have provided packages for the old and
new major versions.  Presumably this means there are some differences
but then the same can be said for MySQL 4 & 5.  At the level I use them
I doubt there is that much difference.

> icedove-2.0.0.17-1.i586.rpm is available at:-
> http://rpm.pbone.net/index.php3?stat=3&search=icedove&srodzaj=3&dist[]=12

Personally I wouldn't bother with Icedove over Thunderbird if you have
to go to non-standard repositories.  Icedove is just Thunderbird with
the logos changed (AFAIK) - Debian and others may make these changes for
legal reasons but if you're not distributing the logos that are owned by
Mozilla then I don't see a problem with it.  Of course if you are
re-distributing the code then the freer version would probably be better.

> I also see that enigmail is available for seamonkey as well on the
> Mandriva repositories.

As Seamonkey is the monster web-broswer, mail reader, kitchen sink
application from Mozilla I would expect enigmail to work with it too.
The web site says that Seamonkey uses a lot of the same code that is
used in the Thunderbird and the other, more targeted applications.
Personally I'm not a fan of the super application that tries to do
everything; I much prefer the Unix way -- each program should do one job
and do it well.

Steve