[Sussex] Getting Linux into schools

Paul Tansom paul at aptanet.com
Wed Jul 1 14:02:48 UTC 2009

** Dominic Humphries <linux at oneandoneis2.org> [2009-06-29 12:29]:
<snip>
> The main objection being raised against the conversion is that old
> favourite: Windows-only applications. The school uses a system called
> SIMS ("Student Information Management services") which holds information
> about each pupil, their timetable, and the electronic registers that
> teachers use at the start of each class. It is (I speak from experience)
> a fairly dreadful application, as it crashes a lot and has a very arcane
> interface. But it's all they've got, and there's not really any
> alternatives (on any platform) that they know of.
>
> It seems to me that most of what it does, and more besides, would be
> easily in the reach of any good CMS, but things like generating
> timetables and registers is where it starts to get complicated and
> outside of my experience.
>
> So, the basic situation is, you've got a very few people calling for a
> conversion to Linux (mainly from Science and Maths because the IT people
> are all really WINDOWS people rather than COMPUTER people), and now is
> pretty much their only opportunity because if the new academy pays out
> for a Windows site license, they're going to be highly resistant to the
> idea of switching afterwards. They've made the case already that Linux
> is more reliable (vital in modern schools where most lessons run off
> interactive whiteboards - essentially a big touchscreen + projector),
> more secure (even more vital with nearly 2000 children using it daily),
> and more educational (no brainer), and also can draw upon the fact that
> the Windows app that they're told they can't live without is decidedly
> unpopular and unreliable.
>
> If anyone has ANY suggestions for how those few people could overcome
> the Windows loyalists, I'd like to hear them. Any information of
> Linux-based alternatives to the SIMS application would be very helpful,
> as would details of any other schools that have trialled Linux
> successfully or of people/companies in the West Sussex area that would
> be able to help with a BIG switchover. I know Ubuntu has the Edubuntu
> branch, but have never used it - how much support is available from
> Canonical/the community when it comes to large organisations switching
> to their distro? I've only ever encountered Ubuntu as something to
> install from CD to PC, not to a huge network..
** end quote [Dominic Humphries]

I don't have any personal experience, but since I remember reading about a
Linux / open source package of this sort a while back I had a quick dig around.
You may like to take a look at the Schoolforge site, or more specifically their
page specifically on this sort of software [1]. They have a few listed there,
although ClaSS, Centre and SchoolTool are the only ones that look to be active
still (from a quick look). There also openSIS [2] that may be of use. It all
depends on what features are used, and how well the integrate into the
reporting process required outside the school. I know I've worked with
charities who consider the expense of purchasing a new PC with Windows and
Office far more cost effective than any thought of Linux or even just
OpenOffice on the desktop. This comes down to the fact that they don't want to
annoy their volunteers by insisting they use software they don't use elsewhere
(although that can cut both ways I guess!) and a lot of fund raising data is
supplied in Excel spreadsheets with awkward formulae/macros in. Personally I
consider it short sited - a little bit of effort for a lot of gain, and
volunteers should be willing to do whatever it takes to save the charity money,
and could then say they know how to use 'a word processor' rather than just
Word which should count for something (much like being able to drive a car
rather than just an automatic).

Anyhoo...

[1] http://schoolforge.org.uk/index.php/Management_Information_and_Administration_Systems
[2] http://opensis.com/index.php