[Sussex] Parental control via router woes

Gavin Stevens starshine at gavmusic.uklinux.net
Fri Jul 3 19:04:42 UTC 2009

I tried to use the option on my router (Netgear DG834) to block some sites by using keywords & also a few site URLs.

After setting this up I tried it out on my Windows XP machine running IE8 (it's for work only) & the keyword blocking works fine, but using Firefox or Seamonkey, either on Windows or Linux, results in every site (even Google) being blocked by the router irrespective of any keywords.

Not being an expert in these matters, what does IE8 have or not have compared to Firefox or Seamonkey that causes this difference & is there a way I can alter settings in Firefox & Seamonkey so that they will be able to work with the keyword blocking from the router?

Any help appreciated.

TIA

Gavin.