[Sussex] Google Maps Cars

john davis johnsemailaccount at gmail.com
Mon Jun 8 19:42:47 UTC 2009

On Mon, Jun 8, 2009 at 5:40 PM, Andrew Guard <andrew09 at andrewguard.com>wrote:

> I thought would never see one but I did today a Google Maps car (12:29
> 08/06/2009). It was in Asda Crawley car park, it had French licence
> plate.  It was empty but it had I would say 15" LCD screen next to
> driver. I couldn't hang around as I had apportionment else were.
> Really it was rather basic car with fix camera on it top.
>
> The only way you would know it was Google car was stickers left and
> right side saying Google Maps.
>
> What made it worse was fact the only camera I had on me at time was
> old Nokia phone (640x480), as I had apportionment else were.
>

> If you'd known to ask the LUG's token "Road Freight Haulage bod" i.e. erm,
me ;-D

I could have told you that they've been "wandering" round Sussex (East and
West) for about the last fortnight.

I only became aware of what they looked like when "Street View" was released
in the wild and half of the nimby's in the country -

and all of them in 1 village in the midlands or home counties, complained
about privacy issues (without realising that they don't have a leg to stand
on)

and "kidnapped" one of them.

Except, that the ones pictured then did have a google logo on the door, all
the ones I've seen (at least half a dozen) have had the logo removed

and are French registered (though I haven't bothered to see if they're
actually "left hookers" or not, but presumably they are)....

Personally, if you're actually worried about the privacy issue aspect then
you've got to put your money where your mouth is and join/sign up

to one of the pressure groups - either for a privacy law directly, or a
written constitution that includes privacy as a right.......

Hey ho!

regards

John D.