[Sussex] Mobile Internet Access

Dominic Humphries linux at oneandoneis2.org
Tue Jun 9 10:25:26 UTC 2009

I use a 3 mobile broadband and it works near-perfectly.

(The 'near' part is because you can't check the signal strength and it
doesn't actually make the network manager think it's online so Firefox
always starts in "Work offline" mode)

The instructions I used for gettin set up were:
http://www.linux.co.uk/docs/center/how-to/how-to-get-online-with-3g-broadband

A few of the settings will be different for you, but Google should tell
you which - from a quick scan, it looks like you need no username, no
password, and the phone number is *99# which is all pretty standard..

You don't need any of the software installed on the modem, that's purely
windows stuff: Linux uses its own drivers for the modem and then
standard PPP stuff gets you online.

Good luck!

Dominic