[Sussex] [Fwd: [Surrey] Linux Format free to download for 24 hours only]

CRAIG PEACOCK mi_n_c at btinternet.com
Wed Mar 4 16:11:03 UTC 2009

Hi Steve,

> I wrote to the editor asking for permission to re-distribute.  I know
> someone who is on the verge of installing Linux and having a mag to help
> him learn may be all he needs.  Got permission too.

They say:

"However clearly without any DRM there's nothing stopping you from
giving them to everyone, torrenting them, printing them, selling them,
whatever.
We'd rather everyone obtained the PDFs directly from us, but
we can't stop you redistributing them for eternity.
If someone does
decide to put the whole thing on The Pirate Bay in 48 hours, I doubt
we'd be particularly upset! ;)"

Seems to me that they are not too bothered if anyone distributes it, which is a good thing.
Nothing like a bit of (almost) free advertising, especially as it's powered by Torrent users and webspace volunteers.. good thinking on their part I think.

I have a drawer full of LXF issues that I have collected over the years, and I have to be honest it's almost a 2-man effort to open the drawer too. However, I am not a subscriber of the magazine anymore, mainly because I can find most of the details of the magazine by reading the posts in the LXF Forums but I would happily have a free PDF if only they'd do that more often.

I think I'd even pay a small amount for the PDF too rather than the paper version that fills much space.

Craig