[Sussex] Open day outline

Gavin Stevens starshine at gavmusic.uklinux.net
Sun May 10 00:18:57 UTC 2009

Further to the discussion at the last moot, here is an outline for a possible "Open Day" designed to attract both newcomers to computers & those who are "Linux-curious" but need some idea of what Linux has to offer.

Attendees to arrive at 9:30 for 10:00 start.

Seminar 1:

1.1: Welcome - explain to those who are new to computers that Linux can offer them a low-cost & user-friendly passage into home computing.

1.2: What is Linux & where does it come from? Simple overview of the origins of the Linux kernel & the GNU OS - nothing too deep at this stage. (A compare & contrast of Windows & Linux will follow).

1.3: Compare & contrast Windows & Linux. A "translator" between Windows & Linux apps.(e.g: MS Office/OpenOffice.org; Image editing etc.) Finish this section by contrasting the licences for Windows & Linux. Informative but simple - doesn't need to be an in depth analysis of the GNU GPL or MS licence agreement.
This first seminar sets the scene for subsequent seminars of the day which will deal with comparing & contrasting Windows & Linux apps for specific tasks.

Seminar 2: Office applications: MS Office compared with OpenOffice.org for essential office tasks (maybe also mention AbiWord & Gnumeric).

Seminar 3: Internet & E-mail applications: Should be fairly easy to compare Firefox on Windows with Firefox on Linux or Seamonkey with Seamonkey. Oh, did I forget Internet Explorer? Also, Outlook Express/Windows Mail compared to a Linux standalone like Claws Mail.

Seminar 4: Image editing: Could be quite a popular one this, as most people have at least a semi-regular need, in this age of digital photography, to edit & print images. Compare a couple of Windows image editors with the GIMP &/or Inkscape.

Seminar 5: Music listening & recording.

Seminar 6: OK, I like this Linux thing - how do I install it? Maybe do a real installation of Ubuntu (which was agreed at the moot as a representative & popular distro).

Notes: For all of the above, I would suggest only using a comparison with Windows apps briefly, the main purpose being to promote & demonstrate the Linux apps.

Also point out that there are Windows versions of most of the apps mentioned as being for Linux. In fact most of them are equal in support for Windows & Linux. Suggest that the Windows version of an app that you would use on Linux is a good way to become familiar before installing Linux itself.

I could spend all night noting little ideas & thoughts that keep popping into my head, but I will leave it there & offer the above as a rough outline. Discussion, debate, other ideas & questions are most welcome & indeed essential if this project is going to become reality.

Gavin.