[Sussex] Open day outline

Desmond Armstrong desmond.armstrong at gmail.com
Sun May 10 09:27:11 UTC 2009

I do hope that we can get this open day off the ground because it would
be very useful indeed.
If we can get some sponsorship one could even do a seminar in schools
and colleges to inform.

> I do get fed up with the continual upates necessary for Windows, the
> increasingly intrusive way that Microsoft checks up on the validity of
> your OS and the frequent reports of security vulnerabilities that are
> discovered (though I don't know how immune from these Linux is or will
> be in the future)

One should remember that a Windows system is essentially open for
malware and it is a matter of history that one has to, as a user, be
able to simply double click an executable and let it simply self
install, in other words no or very little security.

In contrast Unix is designed on 2 criteria:-

1/ good security
cannot install without a secure root password.

2/ networking.

Remember Bill Gates stood up in 1992 and declared that nobody would wish
to use the internet?

Apple changed over to a Unix model in 1996 when Steve Jobs returned to
company to rescue it. My comment to my colleagues at that time was
'Microsoft has missed the Boat'

So fundamentally there has never been a 'virus in the wild' on a Unix or
Linux system ever. It is not a case of Linux is not popular so does not
attract viruses it really is because it is fundamentally secure by
design. Of course one can have limited problems in groups of machines
where the security is minimal but that does not amount to a 'virus in
the wild'.