[Sussex] The "usual" linux weirdness......

Desmond Armstrong desmond.armstrong at gmail.com
Mon May 25 20:19:37 UTC 2009

> All that's actually pi55ing me off about current distro's is that I
> can't use the case front button to open my DVDRW. I have to open and
> terminal and use the "eject" command, and as that works, there must be
> a way of enabling the case button.
>
> I suppose that's just another mystery for a nugget like me!

It is considered to be rude simply to pull plugs on USB memory or to
press a button on the front of the DVD drive.

You should always eject in the software and unmount etc. never just pull
plugs. Although in Windows you can do it you should not do so.

The rule is 'unmount' or 'eject' as required.

Incidentally you will find if you take a USB memory and just keep
pulling it out, rudely, on Windows and on Linux that at some point it
refuses to mount as a consequence so do be careful!

And incidentally if you just right click on the CD icon you will see
that you can eject there, no need for the terminal.