[Sussex] The "usual" linux weirdness......

john davis johnsemailaccount at gmail.com
Tue May 26 19:17:10 UTC 2009

Thanks for the replies chaps...

On Mon, May 25, 2009 at 9:17 PM, Desmond Armstrong <
desmond.armstrong at gmail.com> wrote:

It is considered to be rude simply to pull plugs on USB memory or to
> press a button on the front of the DVD drive.
>
> You should always eject in the software and unmount etc. never just pull
> plugs. Although in Windows you can do it you should not do so.
>
> The rule is 'unmount' or 'eject' as required.

No, this is where there seems to be a bit of confusion......

This isn't about data CD's/DVD's or memory sticks etc, this is just opening
the drawer, mainly to play music CD's which, as most will know, don't need
mount/umount. The drawer, in theory, should open on the press of the case
button, which it's not doing. Yes, if it was about me not unmounting a data
CD or memory stick I'd understand why it doesn't open (yes, I've found
through experience that some distro's will "auto unmount" a data CD/DVD on
the press of the case button etc, mandrake/mandriva used to do that, not
sure if it still does as I haven't had that installed for 3 or 4 years)

> Incidentally you will find if you take a USB memory and just keep
> pulling it out, rudely, on Windows and on Linux that at some point it
> refuses to mount as a consequence so do be careful!
>
> And incidentally if you just right click on the CD icon you will see
> that you can eject there, no need for the terminal.

Of course, I also appreciate that, but the CD icon thing is something that
I've only seen when using KDE 3. (K)Ubuntu currently defaults to KDE 4, and
I haven't found where to set that facility, plus I've been getting used to
gnome since I found that it's currently preferable to KDE 4...... Yes I
probably can choose that as an option in gnome but as yet, I haven't learned
how to do that, or even where that option might be found.

On Mon, May 25, 2009 at 9:42 PM, John Crowhurst <
info at johnscomputersupport.co.uk> wrote:

> On Mon, May 25, 2009 21:17, Desmond Armstrong wrote:
>
> I did a search on that, I found this link:
>
> http://lists.mplayerhq.hu/pipermail/mplayer-users/2005-August/054833.html
>
> Its some code that checks the DVD drive to see if the button has been
> pressed and whether there is a disc in the drive at the time.
>
> The ioctl for the CDROM returns 3 if there is a disc in the drive when the
> button is pushed, so you can pass it to umount on that drive followed by
> eject to eject the disc.
>
> I haven't had time to check that link yet John (though it's very curious
that it's an mplayer link, rather than an *buntu, or just general linux
one...).

So it might be better to ask directly i.e. is it a bit of code that just
checks for a disc and then opens the door/drawer ? Because that's what it's
not doing. It's not a case of not unmounting a data disc as Desmond
mentioned, it's just not opening the door from the case at all (under
linux/ubuntu). It operates perfectly under windows, but under linux (*buntu
9.04) it won't open at all, unless it's done from CLI.

Amending/adding bits of code is so far over my head, it might as well be
about mending the Hubble (again)..... If it's a case of finding a config
file of some sort, then I might be able to mod it with close guidance
(otherwise I'd just screw the system up - again)....

Thankyou both for the ideas, suggestions etc thus far, they're very much
appreciated. Any other suggestions would be gratefully appreciated...

regards

John D.