[Sussex] Building 2.6... kernel

Barry Chamley barry at makingtracks.org.uk
Thu May 28 15:16:37 UTC 2009

Hi All,

Can't make it to tonight's moot, but someone asked me to let them know how I
got on with building my new 2.6 kernel, especially with regards to the RAM
disc image. Being brand new to Linux it's been quite "challenging" along the
way (**1@&^"L!^*%!!!), but I've scribbled some notes for my benefit so
thought I'd post them as well. Bear in mind they are very much tailored to
my set up ... and my limited experience! My distro is KateOS which is
Slackware based.

Worth noting the most obscure problem I had with the RAM disc image. The
default generated by mkinitrd includes a 'splash' command in the init
script, and if this fails it seems to do so very ungracefully ... the rest
of the initialisation just blows up ... file systems fail to mount ...
kernel panic! I just patched it out in the end, but it took me days of aggro
(and learning to be fair) before I homed in on what the problem was.

My notes are attached.

Regards,

Barry