[Sussex] OT: Phone and Ethernet over CAT6

John Crowhurst info at johnscomputersupport.co.uk
Fri Sep 4 16:18:44 UTC 2009

On Fri, September 4, 2009 16:06, Richie Jarvis wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I've got a couple of locations around my house now where I need to run
> both Phone and Ethernet over CAT6 cable.  As Ethernet only uses 2 pairs,
> that leaves 2 pairs free - and phone only requires 1 pair.
>
> The question I have is what is the easiest way to break out a pair from
> either end of the connection, so that I can run the phone signal down
> the cable?
>
> I've been hunting online for some sort of breakout unit, but have been
> unsuccessful so far.

The easiest way is using keystone jacks. Keystone jacks have krone
connectors that you simply punch in the wires in the grooves.

Minitran sell faceplates that fit keystone jacks as well as the jacks
themselves. Look for Cat6+ and 631A (BT style) jacks.

Note that you must cross over both the RJ45 pairs and 631A pairs or your
telephones won't work!

http://www.minitran.co.uk/

For 631A:

1
2 to 5
3
4
5 to 2
6

For RJ11:
1
2
3 to 4
4 to 3
5
6

For RJ45:
1 to 3
2 to 6
3 to 1
4 to 7 N/C
5 to 8 N/C
6 to 2
7 to 4 N/C
8 to 5 N/C

Unless you are planning on using Gigabit ethernet (which uses all 4 pairs)
you can use either pairs 4 and 5 or 7 and 8 for your telephone cable.

There are expensive RJ45 to RJ11 converters available, but its simply
cheaper to use keystone jacks.
--
John Crowhurst
John's Computer Support