[Sussex] Wireless Access Point Wanted [Was: Moot Attendance List April 29]

Fay Zee sussex at eglug.org.uk
Wed Apr 28 14:57:46 UTC 2010

On 28 April 2010 12:47, Alex Colquhoun  wrote:
> If I remember, I will bring a WiFi (802.11g) repeater with me on
Thursday to
> see if it can help solve the networking problems that some people
are
> having. The down side is the Holbrook WLAN may not be configured to
allow
> repeating; we can only try!
>
> An alternate solution would be to use a wireless access point as a
bridge to
> a wired network used by the moot. However, not all access points
can be used
> in this way, even by installing Linux (OpenWRT, etc.) on them. I do
have a
> suitable access point, but it will require a bit of work to get it
working,
> so it may not be ready for the 29th. May be worth a look for the
moot to buy
> one, as we once did for a projector.

If you have a repeater you can bring AND the repeating is allowed,
that sounds a good solution.

Otherwise:

How much is the type of wireless access point that does what we want?

Hmm, wonder if there is someone who is trying to offload an unwanted
one?

Might be worth asking on the Surrrey LUG list as well, once we find
out if it's needed.

Of course, from a technical learning point of view I would rather
like to try out the suggestion in Steve D's post from a couple of days
ago ... that ought to be one of the benefits from coming to a meeting.
I would like to be walked through the steps at some point.

Re. the projector, luckily the question of buying one didn't matter
as I volunteered my own.

 Best Regards,
Fay
East Grinstead Linux User Group