[Sussex] Help with getting started please

Malcolm Harris westerham91 at googlemail.com
Wed Jul 7 21:06:29 UTC 2010

Dear SLUGs,

I'm thinking about using Ubuntu but am having problems setting up the
software to evaluate it.

I'm trying to look at a desktop Distro circulated by 'Linux User'. I've
tried on an ancient PC but it could not cope. I've tried booting an early
Intel Macbook with the disk in to access a live disk but to no avail (I'm
reluctant to try a partitioned installation on the Macbook as I've read a
number of accounts on the web of people who have done this and then being
unable to later remove the Distro or the partition.

Any suggestions or help would be appreciated. Please bear in mind that I'm
not a coder - I thought using Ubuntu involved a lot of technical knowhow and
programming but a colleague at work has recently installed it and keeps
raving on about how fast and easy to use it is, hence my curiosity.

Westerham

PS: I've had e-mails confirming that I'm on the list but no posts yet so
please cc me off list in case.