[Sussex] Ubuntu install

Tim Smith timsmith714 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 30 10:40:31 UTC 2010

I've tried the 10.10 live disc on several machines and it's not worked as
well as 10.04, often hanging after I click on the button to try Ubuntu.
Netbook seems to be an 'open the crate with the crowbar you'll find inside'
as it appears to need 3D drivers that you need to install. I ended up
installing as a normal Ubuntu desktop, then graphics drivers and then the
netbook interface, after which it seemed fine. Granted one of those machines
has a notorious ATI chipset but the other has a reasonable nvidia chipset.
Once installed 10.10 has worked fine on both machines (apart from unity on
the ati-based system). I'd consider installing 10.04 and then updating to
10.10 once it's all working.
It's a shame because I really like Ubuntu. At least 10.04 is the long term
support version so it'll be around for a while
Tim

--
Tim Smith
IT Journalist