[Sussex] Linux C to Windows C Porter Wanted

Steve Dobson steve at dobbo.org
Tue Dec 13 16:53:15 UTC 2011

Hi Guys

I'm looking for some help with a project.  As part of the working I'm
currently doing I need to transfer data to & from an Opticon OPN2001
barcode scanner.  It's a really neat little device, about the size of a
large key fob, with a built in barcode scanner and some memory.  When it
scans a barcode it stores the code scanned, the type of barcode
symbology and a timestamp for later retrieval.  For the transfer of the
data to/from the host computer the OPN2001 plugs into the USB bus.
Drivers exist for Linux, Max and Windows.

The project has two deliverable:

1). A light weight JAR file that provides the access to the barcode
data, gets and sets the on device Real Time Clock (RTC) and the device
parameters and status, and

2). A heavy weight JAR file which uses the library above to present the
data to the user on a nice, friendly GUI.

As you've probably guessed by now the application is mostly written in
Java.  However, the communications with the device itself is done in C
code using the Java Native Interface (JNI) framework.  And here in lies
my problem: I don't do Windows (or Mac for that matter).  While the Java
code runs quiet happily on any platform with a suitable Java Runtime
Environment (JRE) the JNI code needs porting to the native platform.

So does anyone mind helping out?  The code is licensed under the GNU
Lesser General Public License (LGPL), and the Software Version Control
System is "git".

There is a commercial side to this.  This project forms a small part of
a larger plan.  So we will provide the hardware if someone comes
on-board, and there should even be some money in evolved.  We need the
Java files (for this and the main project) packaged into a nice, neat
Windows installable image.  All in all I don't think it is that much
work, as I've already done the lion's share of the coding in Java and on
Linux.

If anyone is interested please just contact me either on this list or
off it.

Many thanks
Steve "Dobbo" Dobson