[Sussex] Label and partition external hard drive

'Fay Zee' sussex at eglug.org.uk
Wed Feb 23 19:36:42 UTC 2011

On 23 February 2011 18:54, Steven Dobson  wrote:
>  For  best results, you should always use an OS-specific partition
table
>  program.  For example, you should make  DOS  partitions
with  the  DOS
>  FDISK program and Linux partitions with the Linux fdisk or Linux
cfdisk
>  program.
>
> So if the NTFS partition is to be shared with XP then you should
really
> format it on the XP system.

Okay, I shall find out how to reformat the "XP" partition using my
Windows machine.

But what about the issue of the original partition table having 1.5MB
of free space at the beginning and my new table not having this?
Was that a red herring?

This disk was acquired through eBay and sold as a reformatted disk by
someone who seems to sell quite a few.

 Best Regards,
Fay
East Grinstead Linux User Group