[Sussex] Label and partition external hard drive

'Fay Zee' sussex at eglug.org.uk
Wed Feb 23 23:20:09 UTC 2011

On 23 February 2011 22:17, Steve Dobson  wrote:
> What tools do Mandriva that aren't available in other distros?
Anyway, did
> not Fay ask for command line programs, so if there are GUI tools
they
> wouldn't meet the spec.

Yes, this is absolutely true; thanks for complying with the CLI bits I
needed, Steve. How often you've come to my rescue

Sorry, Desmond, I know GUI is "easier" but I want:

a) commands that I can check against the man pages to see what they're
doing
b) savable commands that I can re-use
c) KNOWLEDGE in the basics!

Years of point 'n' click repetitive maintaining of user permissions in
sprawling directories under NT server, repetitive creation and
configuration of webs under IIS 6, repetitive creation and adaptation
of DTS under SQL Server 2000, repetitive this and repetitive that,
disabused me of the idea that GUIs are always the easiest and least
time consuming option.

I found exactly the opposite to be true for regular tasks.

Any time I could use scripting in MS products I did so, as far back as
simple modules in MS Access version 2 (remember that?) and including
MS Word generation via rtf (have you SEEN the bowels of pre-XML Word
documents?).

My question when faced with particularly onerous tasks in MS was
always, "SURELY they've provided SOME way to script THIS????" Sadly,
not always.

Having said all that, a GUI does have its place - I use them a lot in
Linux, including Mandriva (and Puppy, that you've shown me, Desmond) -
but they don't facilitate my Linux learning "adventure" :-)

 Best Regards,
Fay
East Grinstead Linux User Group
www.eglug.org.uk