[Sussex] CreateSpace Self Publishing Talk

'Fay Zee' sussex at eglug.org.uk
Sat Jan 29 01:09:39 UTC 2011

Hi,

Here is the URL from Thursday's talk:

https://www.createspace.com/

For those that missed it, we looked at publishing a hypothetical
300-page book on Java though Amazon's CreateSpace facility.

It's a self-publishing, print-on-demand service. Once your PDF is
uploaded and approved (and a small fee paid), it gets listed on
Amazon.

This means Amazon will process the order, print, pack and ship.

You can order copies at a good price, so this would be a good
solution if you wanted to provide a text book for a course.

Unfortunately it's all in dollars.

Our Java book worked out at US$7.50 to order it ourselves. We
calculated that the lowest possible selling price, just to break even
after Amazon and CreateSpace fees and commissions, would be US$9.49,
leaving us 9 cents profit. Setting the price at a more realistic
$19.99 yielded US$8.49 profit, but we thought the market could bear a
much better price still.

If you think the title might sell multiple copies, there's an option
to pay an up front fee of US$39 for the Pro Plan (then after the first
year, this fee is just $5.00 annually).

This automatically gives a more favourable deal. Our Java book would
then cost us only US$4.45 to order ourselves, and would give a US$3.14
profit if the price were to be set at US$9.49 or US$1154 profit at a
price of $19.99.

So, if you're planning a Java course for twelve delegates, Pro Plan
would get you a very reasonably priced, professionally bound text
book. And any copies sold via Amazon would be a nice little bonus :-)

Best Regards,
Fay
East Grinstead Linux User Group
www.eglug.org.uk

P.S. computing is just an example. One member suggested it might work
for a family history book, which I thought was a nice idea.