[Sussex] Fwd: [Full-disclosure] VSFTPd backdoor

Stephen Williams sdp.williams at btinternet.com
Tue Jul 5 10:38:25 UTC 2011

Jacqui,

Particularly of interest to me being a Gentoo fan.

However, it's not installed on any of my boxes:

# emerge -pv vsftpd

Calculating dependencies                     ... done!
[ebuild  N     ] net-ftp/ftpbase-0.01-r2
[ebuild  N     ] net-ftp/vsftpd-2.3.4

I've also noticed a tendency for some windows anti-virus scanners to issue
false alerts for some source code archives. Quite often when I plug my USB HDD
with my Gentoo /usr/portage/distfiles backup into my windows machines running
AVG, they will often complain about some of the source archives being
infected. Naturally I was very worried about this initially, but I found that
anti-virus scanners were not consistent in their detection. Sometimes they
would complain about one file, and after an virus signature update they would
complain about different files.

Steve W.