[Sussex] video snags (possibly nvidia related, but possible bug) - best suggestions ?

john davis johnsemailaccount at gmail.com
Sun Jul 10 11:26:45 UTC 2011

On 6 July 2011 01:08, Steve Dobson <steve at dobbo.org> wrote:

> The (EE) is one of the things I was looking for.  It does appear that
> you haven't got all the drivers loaded you should.  My nVidia workstaion
> does have the "nv" driver loaded and it works for my nVidia Corporation
> C61 [GeForce 6150SE nForce 430] (rev a2) VGA card.  But that card has
> been supported for a while now.
>
> > Does anyone know what, if anything, can be done ?
>
> Installing the "xserver-xorg-video-nv" package maybe all that is needed.
>  That's my hope, but I would like to know exactly which graphics card
> you have.  Is it the GT 420?  Or is it something else?  I was expected
> more from the lspci command.  That in itself is suggestive of the
> graphics card being new - too new for you.  The PCI bus doesn't given
> the text, that's in a database - so if it isn't listed maybe that's
> because it is a very new VGA device.
>
> I know it's too late now, but going out and just buying a computer in a
> box is a problem with driver support, and graphics cards are high on the
> list for this.  If you can replace you graphics card with and older one
> then that is the other option, and maybe the best for you.  Of course,
> if it is a GT 420, then the next release of Ubuntu will no doubt include
> the latest drivers and therefore support it properly.
>
> Hope you find a solution
> Steve

It looks, very much, like "Dobbo the magnificent" has hit the nail, very
much, on the head.

The linux Mint 11 (which seems to be using "mintised" ubuntu natty sources),
has installed a package called "Hardinfo", which as there's no "menu'd
shortcut", I've only just discovered.

It's reporting the graphics card as "GeForce GT 420/PCI/SSE2" under the
renderer section of the info, which, I'm guessing means that it is indeed a
GT420 card a.k.a. unsupported.

Bugger!

Ah well, I'll just have to put up with that won't I. Though I'm gonna see if
I can install the package that Steve has suggested i.e. the
"xserver-xorg-video-nv" and see if I can get anything out of it that might
help.

Oh and just for info, the Linux Mint 11 seems to me, just like the visual
differences (the default ones) between KDE and Gnome i.e. that generally, it
looks nicer, though it's installed Gnome as the default (and I've just
installed the KDE for it). Slightly more friendly feeling to it than the
parent Ubuntu.

As ever, thanks for the assistance in working out what the issue is/was.
It's very much appreciated

regards

John D.