[Sussex] USB Speakers

Jan Henkins jan at henkins.za.net
Thu Jul 21 11:00:34 UTC 2011

Hello Steve,

On Thu, July 21, 2011 11:08, Steve Dobson wrote:

[snip]
> One reboot later still no joy.  The desktop popup volume control is not
> effecting the volume on USB AUDIO device.  Neither do the buttons on the
> speakers.  Rhythmbox's audio control does thought.  So it appears to me
> that the desktop volume controller (which gets the button events from the
> USB AUDIO device) don't control the selected device, but the first
> one on the list.  I think we can call that a bug!

Well, not really a "bug", but I know what you mean. Sound under Linux is
still a lot too much "voodoo" and too little joy, even for people who as a
rule know what they are doing.

I think your answer probably lies in PulseAudio somewhere. Depending on
the distro/desktop you use, look for your native PulseAudio controls, and
adjust your device preference list so that your USB Audio device is at the
top. Only then will your system use it as the default sound-out device. I
have to do this continuously with my Lenovo lappy (Kubuntu Natty) and my
Lindy USB sound device. Not intuitive at all, but very powerful if you are
willing to give the quirks a bit of space. :-)

--
Regards,
Jan Henkins