[Sussex] USB Speakers

Steve Dobson steve at dobbo.org
Thu Jul 21 11:54:50 UTC 2011

Hi Jan

On 21/07/11 11:45, Jan Henkins wrote:
> I think your answer probably lies in PulseAudio somewhere. Depending on
> the distro/desktop you use, look for your native PulseAudio controls, and
> adjust your device preference list so that your USB Audio device is at the
> top. Only then will your system use it as the default sound-out device. I
> have to do this continuously with my Lenovo lappy (Kubuntu Natty) and my
> Lindy USB sound device. Not intuitive at all, but very powerful if you are
> willing to give the quirks a bit of space. :-)

Many thanks for your suggestion.  I didn't know of PulseAudio and I will
have to check it out.  As I use Debian it's only a quick "apt-get
install" away.

Out of interest, what happen if you try playing sound (music or video)
when you don't have your Lindy USB sound device plugged in?  I haven't
tried that out yet on this this netbook.

Ta

Steve "Dobbo" Dobson