[Sussex] An introduction and Apache

Fay Zee sussex at eglug.org.uk
Wed Jun 15 19:48:29 UTC 2011

Hi Will,

Welcome to the list!

On 15 June 2011 20:08, Will Earnshaw  wrote:
> Hey everyone!
>
>    I'm Will. I run an Ubuntu Server 10.04 box remotely

Nice to get the background.

> I've recently installed Apache web server and managed to get it to
run
> several websites that I own. However, I've noticed that when you
type a
> directory into the url bar (i.e. www.example.co.uk/main/) it shows
an FTP
> like read out of the files within that directory, including the
behind the
> scenes php scripts. Is it possible to stop it doing this?

One of the "must do's" on setting a secure apache webserver
environment is to disable directory browsing. As a default Apache will
be compiled with this option enabled. Google: apache "disable
directory browsing"

> P.S. I've never used a mailing list before, so hopefully this all
works!

Glad to see you persevered in signing up :-)

 Best Regards,
Fay
East Grinstead Linux User Group
www.eglug.org.uk