[Sussex] moving data, backups etc - best/simplest/cheapest practice ?

johnsemailaccount at gmail.com johnsemailaccount at gmail.com
Sat Jun 18 14:56:08 UTC 2011

Wotcha List,

My current PC is starting to fail ie if I have to power it down for any
reason, the restart is problematic - I have to keep repeatedly tapping the
case power switch, to get the start up to "catch" and boot it into startup
routine.

A little digging and I've found little to explain whats going on, other
than there do seem to be others with similar/same PC and problems.

I don't have the experience/expertise/kit/finances for fault finding and as
it could be anything from the case switch to some sort of other hardware
controller type issue, I've taken the easy route (again) and got a new PC.

This generates a few issues.

Any bookmarks etc in my browser have been stored remotely using Xmarks
extension in firefox. My address book stuff is located with my google
account. So that leaves a smallish number of documents etc and of course,
my music.

Now rather stupidly (though with the best of intentions ie quality etc),
all my music is in FLAC format, so it's taking up about 30 or so gig's, so
I'm now busy burning it all to DVDRW, so once I've got backups of
everything made I can then start setting up the new PC with partitions,
Ubuntu, user accounts etc etc.

Can anyone explain the best (also cheapest and simplest) way of having such
data so that I don't need to have to make backups like this, as it's not
ideal and of course, for longer term data retention, have it in a form that
means if the PC dies on me I don't lose it all ?

Of course, I know of things like external hard drives and such devices, but
don't have access to them (or the finance to buy one at the moment). Plus
while I've looked at cloud storage in a basic way, it seems that for this
amount of data, it would probably be too expensive....

Hence, any guidance and/or ideas as to how I should be sorting this out in
future (gonna have to be DVDRW's for the moment), I'd be more than happy to
learn about it.

regards

John D

ps Oh and don't forget, I still like to claim my position as "SLUG nugget",
as I'm no kind of techie, just an enthusiast user of Linux systems......