[Sussex] New PC, frustration, frustration.

Steve Dobson steve at dobbo.org
Wed Jun 22 07:06:52 UTC 2011

Hi John

On 21/06/11 20:43, johnsemailaccount at gmail.com wrote:
> Wotcha List,
>
> Ok, so I recently posted about how to move data from my old PC to the
> replacement (HO Pavilion p6799). As far as I can tell, it's a 64 bit
> machine, so I've installed Ubuntu 11.04 64bit.

I've been using 64-bit Debian for some years now without any issue
regarding lack of software no unsupported hardware.

> Generally it seems to be working fine.

Is this because of a problem with the system or your nugget status
exerting itself?

> The biggest hassle was moving the data, as already mentioned. This was
> done by a mishmash of dropbox, DVD's and application specific answers
> like "xmarks" for firefox. Of the various challenges, re-installing my
> music has proved the worst.
>
> Why? Because despite the success of completing the task (well 99%) -
> which did take an inordinate amount of time (my music is all in FLAC
> format, the file sizes and general amount of music to copy back to the
> new machine), I found a little problem that I can't, as yet, solve.

It is possible that not all the same CODECs have been installed on your
new machine.  Have you got the "libflac8" package installed?  It maybe
that or it maybe some other software that is missing.

> On one DVD (relating to the album/CD it was ripped from), there was an
> error that came up twice. It seems it was to do with excessively long
> song titles.

Personally I doubt this.  It is more likely to be a file corruption.  If
you can run the md5sum command on both systems I would suggest you do:
	$ md5sum <file>

This will return a longish code that if the same on both machine means
that the files are identical.  It will produce vastly different numbers
if just one bit is different so it's a good check for copy fidelity.

<major snipage>
 But I don't know what it all means (anyone can find commands on various
> forums etc and input them, but when it comes to de-cyphering them, it's
> a rather different matter) other than the system seems to see the the
> drive. So, I still have no idea how to get the damn device to detect
> discs when they're put in the drive.

I don't know all the commands you've used.  There are a mass of commands
available and half the time they report the same things, just in
different ways.  What I do read out of the data is that your new system
has detected you DVD drive at correctly configured it at kernel level.

So the problem could well be with the ripping software you're using.
I've had different successes with different audio ripping software over
the years.  I've settled on Rhythmbox and Sound Juicer.  Rhythmbox is a
full music handler but both seam to work well on Debian.  Of course I
did need to install the MP3 CDDECs (libmp3lame0) but Debian has
different licensing restrictions that Ubuntu so your experiences will no
doubt be different.

Steve "Dobbo" Dobson