[Sussex] Fwd: Re: New PC, frustration, frustration. - Update......

johnsemailaccount at gmail.com johnsemailaccount at gmail.com
Wed Jun 22 20:10:06 UTC 2011

Wotcha List,

Well the saga gets weirder and weirder.......

Jan mentioned about the differences between audio and data CD's. Yes, I
understood that was how it is ie the drive detects and mounts data, but
just detects and in my case asks what I want to do.

Steve Dobson mentioned about a number of things. One of which, I'll mention
later, but I can't md5sum anything like that, as the old system is no
longer working (it won't start at all). Libflac8 is already installed, as
are (apparently) all the necessary codecs - I didn't check whether lame is
installed or not, because that, as I understand it, is for mp3's and I
wouldn't waste my time playing about with horrible compressed (and
proprietary) formats. My music is all in FLAC, I'm not keen on anything
other than apparent CD quality (and Clares music is all ripped as .Ogg,
which sounds to my ears, infinitely better than mp3)

I usually use Amarok to play the digital format versions, and sound juicer
is my ripper of choice (might look at other players though, I can't find
the "random" option for Amarok).

Steve Williams mentioned groups etc, well I've double checked those. Both
myself and Clare are set as administrator (not a problem as Clare does even
less "meddling" than I do - at least she'll use the linux install now and
doesn't use the dual booted windows). We're in all the groups mentioned,
except there doesn't seem to be a listing for CDRW, but all the others ie
audio, cdrom and plugdev.

So it would seem that it's down to 2 other possible things, as far as I can
work out. Either it's something to do with DRM or it might be a knackered
CD (unless anyone else can thing of why this might be happening).

Further to Steve D's "Q" about whether it is a problem, or whether
it's "finger trouble" on my part ? I've tried other CD's and they at least,
get as far as asking what player I want to use (default is banshee, but I
prefer Amarok - possibly not for much longer). Plus another CD by the same
group (same producer/record company) seems to play fine. So thinking about
the possible DRM thing, I've booted back into windows and the media player
picked up other CD's, but not the one that's being a problem.

The problem CD still seems to play fine on the sound system downstairs,
just not in a CD/DVD PC based player.

Damn it's frustrating, because it's only the 2 tracks that I need to
re-rip. The rest of the CD copied back to the hard drive fine.........

Is it possible that even though the problem CD is only what ? 2 or 3 years
old, that it might have degraded enough so that the PC can't see it, so it
thinks it's not there, when others much older are fine, and that's despite
that it still seems to play on a "normal" CD player. I mean, are "normal CD
players" that poor quality that they don't notice when a disc is starting
to fail, yet the PC can see a problem with it ?

I'm very confused (and gonna head off to Amazon to get another copy.....)

Thanks for the assistance thus far, it's very much appreciated.

regards

John D