[Sussex] Acer laptops

Dominic Humphries linux at oneandoneis2.org
Thu Jun 23 09:26:24 UTC 2011

Run away! Run away!

:)

Okay.. my Acer laptop has actually done better than I expected, I must
admit. It's 4 1/2 years old; the optical drive no longer works; the
battery life is down to about one minute; and the power cord (as people
who attended the last SLUG moot can testify) needs to be held in place
in order to supply power.

I installed the latest ubuntu on it a few weeks ago, wifi was completely
non-functional with the drivers it auto-installed. I replaced the
drivers, and I can now SEE networks but not connect to any of them. (By
contrast, I can boot it into Windows and the wifi works fine)

I'm sure I can eventually get the wifi to work - it's not been a high
priority for me - but regardless of how well it works (or not) with
Linux, I would never buy another Acer.

Dom