[Sussex] RMS Talking at Sussex Uni

Dominic Humphries linux at oneandoneis2.org
Thu Mar 10 20:19:37 UTC 2011

This one would be important for proprietary software - otherwise FOSS
>> would go public domain and people could use it, but proprietary would be
>> free to anyone who could get a copy.. but how would they get
>> MS/Apple/whoever to actually GIVE them such a copy?
> Do you really think that there are people out there that are not using
> FLOSS because it isn't in the public domain?  Who do you know would
> choose proprietary over FLOSS if there wasn't an PD version available?
Nope - tho the guy on that blog's comment thread might be considered one
of those people who apparently doesn't use software if it's GPLed.

I was in a hurry to get away from the COBOL code I've been stuck on all
day so I wrote the email hastily, hence the poor wording - I meant that
closed-source code would be unavailable and thus unsuable, whereas FOSS
code would go into the public domain and be usable without any
restrictions - including being legal to close-source it.

Dominic