[Sussex] RMS Talking at Sussex Uni

Gavin Stevens starshine at gavmusic.uklinux.net
Sat Mar 12 16:31:53 UTC 2011

I'm very glad I attended. I was hugely impressed with his clarity of
thought & his uncompromising stance. I know that he can sometimes annoy
even those who support him but I think that the world needs people like
him - sometimes you need to be like that to ensure that as much of your
message as possible gets through.

I am very much in agreement with much of what he says, indeed it was
reading about the concept of free software way back in 1999 that led,
eventually, to me trying Debian in early 2002. However, I reserve
judgement on his views on musicians & earnings. Having thought about
his view that the record industry must go, I think he has a point.

In conclusion, I thought it was very special to be in the same room as
a man who has taken an almost mythical quality.

Gavin.