[Sussex] My old laptop (1996-2011)

Gavin Stevens starshine at gavmusic.uklinux.net
Sat Mar 12 16:52:44 UTC 2011

I don't know if any of you remember the old laptop I used to bring to
the moots - a Toshiba Satellite Pro 430CDS. I have to report that it
has passed on to digital heaven.

It ran DamnSmallLinux & I used it for a presentation on reviving older
hardware with the lighter Linux distros. The hard drive (1.3GB) had
become slightly noisier & overall it was a little slower than it used
to be (hard to tell with a 120MHz Pentium 1 CPU!), but in the end it
was suffering from the plastic becoming rather brittle, which resulted
in the cover for the diskette caddy port not closing. The final straw
came when the CD player wouldn't stay closed.

I shall have to find something else now, but definitely rather more
up-to-date....

Gavin.